Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ice pack wine sleeve - clever injury treatment idea!

Aerialists, like most athletes, find that we're frequently icing some part of our body. When something is hurt or even the tiniest bit swollen, we're supposed to ice it a LOT. How much varies from coach to coach and doctor to doctor, but 15 minutes an hour or every other hour is not uncommon.

Icing is a pain in the butt, though. I mean, it's a great treatment, but often impractical. We polers often have wrist or hand injuries to deal with, which aren't convenient to ice because you can't really do anything else while you're waiting.

A month or two ago, I was icing my hands (I overdid it on silks when I first got them, and my fingers were so swollen I couldn't put any of my rings on), and my mom came up with the brilliant idea to use a wine chilling sleeve. I can stick my hands in it like a muff, or slide it over my wrist for a one-step wrap. No bandages to awkwardly try to tie on myself, and I can still use my arm while icing.

This has made me much more willing to ice my wrist (it's just tweaked a bit, nothing serious), as I can just throw it on and get back to whatever I was doing. So I thought I'd share!

*Disclaimer: I should probably have some sort of cloth under it so the ice pack is not against your skin. You're generally not supposed to have an ice pack right on the skin. But I do it anyways, because apparently I have to learn everything the hard way. I'll let you know if I get frostbite or something.

We have this one (I know the plastic image of Provence is cheesy--it came in an auction basket, we didn't pick it). A good investment if you have wrist problems, or wine!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I always hated icing my arms when they got sore when i first started poling cause i'd have to sit there awkwardly to do it. great idea!

    ReplyDelete